Using Pebbles To Make Pebble Art

This is the new love in the Zing Zing Tree household. It’s great fun and can be made by all ages (note: the pebbles need to be stuck on with a glue gun so an adult/big person will have to do the sticking).

Rock Bird Pebble Art Bird On A Rock by RaRa aged 6

The idea is to look at the shape, colour & texture of pebbles and use them to represent objects within a picture. Small flatter pebbles work best for this. You can also add bit’s of string, wood, leaves etc but remember less is more.

You need ‘flattish’ pebbles, pencils & picture frames.

1. Take the back and any glass/plastic away from the picture frame so that all your using is the frame. Lay this down on a sketch book and play with the pebbles. Look at them touch them. Move them around on the page. Draw some simple lines or add twigs, string etc and see how they look. Keep doing this until you have a rough design of your picture.

Example Pebble Art

2. Next cut a piece of card that will fit into your picture frame and put the back on so that the frame is complete. Now reposition the pebbles, twigs, string on to the card in the picture frame and carefully draw in your lines. Next secure all the loose pieces (pebbles, string, wooed etc) to the card using a glue gun.

Spikey Hair Man Pebble Art Pink Spikey Man by RoRo aged 6

The simplicity of these pictures is mesmerising. I love how easy it is for children to be involved.  From the trip out to look for pebbles, talking about the shape & texture. To hands on placing and design. I made the cat pebble art picture first as an example to show my girls as well as looking online for other pictures to show them. ‘Pink Spikey Man’ and the ‘Bird On A Rock’ were made by my 6 year old twins. All their own work. I was particularly impressed wit RaRa’s patience as she searched through the pebbles looking for pebbles of the same colour that would fit together to make her rock shape.

Wishful Thinking Pebble Art ‘Wishful Thinking’ by Mumma Aged ??

The video below gives more ideas of things to make with pebbles & stones.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hAgQobMFpNQ]

With Thanks To

Red Ted Art – Matchbox Stone Pets

Plus 2 Point 4 – Rock Monsters

The Imagination Tree – Letter Pebbles

Crystals Tiny Treasure – Rock Necklace

Thinly spread – Stone Houses

Inspiration Laboratories – Stone Towers

This entry was posted in Nature, Pictures, Stones and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Using Pebbles To Make Pebble Art

1. Simply GORGEOUS! I love your stone pictures and we will definitely make some!

2. Pingback: GARDEN STONE PENDANT NECKLACE - Crystal's Tiny Treasures

3. Pingback: Stone Craft Ideas (with G+ hangout)

4. Pingback: Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive Stone Craft Ideas

5. Pingback: Getting Crafty - A Village for The Little People - thinlyspread.co.uk

6. Kirstylee says:

Cute! I am inspired to try this with my kiddos.

7. Jessica @ Play Trains! says:

These are adorable. We’ll try this sometime!

8. Suanna says:

These look like fun ideas. I like your wishful thinking picture.

9. Great idea, I love art with natural materials. Plus, what a nice way to highlight some pebbles from my children’s large rock collection.

10. Sugar Aunts says:

What a fun idea! My kids love rocks so they would have a blast for sure!! I would love to invite you to link up at our Share It Saturday linky party. We have lots of creative ideas submitted each week and you would fit right in! http://www.sugaraunts.com/2013/02/share-it-saturday-7-and-our-week-in.html

We also are inviting all contributors to join us on our Share It Saturday Group Pinterest page as a collaborator. It is a great way to have your posts seen by new viewers! The link for the Pinterest page is on our post. Hope to see you there!

Colleen at Sugar Aunts

11. I’m going to show this to my boys tomorrow I’m sure it will inspire them to get creative. They love stones and often have pockets full that I find in the washing machine grrr! A lovely idea.

12. Carrie says:

Oh, these are so much fun! I love them!! We will definitely be giving these a try. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

13. I really do love these. Thanks for linking up at the Sunday Showcase so I can feature them tomorrow. :)

14. oh my gosh, these are amazing! I LOVE the top one. xx

15. Pingback: Rockin’ drawings | Teach Preschool

16. deb says:

I love pebble art and have bags of stones I found on a recent holiday to Canada. I am semi-retiring next year and can’t wait to have the time to make my own pictures. I love how you can make a beautiful picture from just a few pebbles etc.

17. sarah says:

Really fun Ideas!! can I know what type of glue is best for pebble art?