Pine Cone Pets

How about this fun craft that allows children to use their imagination and create their own pine cone pets using felt off cuts. It’s really easy to make and is great for taking out and about … felt scraps are always handy to have in your bag!

All Pine Cone Pets

Using a glue gun to attach googly eyes to your pine cones in places that would make a good face.

Pine Cone with googly eyes

Then cut pieces of felt (or play foam) into shapes that can be pushed into the natural gaps in the pine cones to create ears, paws, manes, tails, hands etc (you could also use any pre-made fuzzy felt shapes that you have).

Felt shapes

Add a few pom poms to the collection and your ready to create as many weird and wonderful creatures as you can. A plastic needle or cocktail stick can help.

Pine cone pets cat Pine cone pets dog Pine cone pets

You can even turn them upright and make them into trees!

Pine cone pets rabbit

If you’re feeling really adventurous you could also decorate the inside of a box to make a themed storage container for the pine cone animals to play in.

This craft was supposed to be part of this weeks crafty hangout and although we went and hung things didn’t go quite to plan. There were some great pine cone crafts though so do have a look at the following links below for some other pine cone ideas. You can also see the edited hangout here.

Kid’s Chaos  – A cute Hedgehog (it also makes a great spiky polar bear) using a cone and air drying clay.
Plus 2 point 4 – printing with pine cones
The Frog & The Fairy – small world play trees and a Christmas tree for a doll’s house.
Mum at the Madhouse – cute owl (and has lots of other lovely ideas in her post)
Domestic Goddesque -A gorgeous door hanging using pine cones, pearl paint and ribbon (very pretty),

Me & My Shadow – lovely photo holder (would be great for Fathers day)
Red Ted Art – shared some pine cone babies from her book.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Pine Cone Pets

1. Liz Burton says:

I really LOVE the versatility of these! So cool.

2. I thought this was such a great craft

3. this is amazing! love to do this. but i need 1 foot snow to melt now before we can find pine cone!

4. Pingback: Pine Cone Crafts – Hedgehog | Kids Chaos

5. Pingback: 10 Pine Cone Crafts

6. alex says:

Hi, found your blog through a link party. LOVE these, and my boys will as well! Thank you for sharing!

7. Pingback: 12 Pine Cone Crafts (With G+ hang Out)

8. TheMadHouse says:

These are fab. I adore felt. We did christmas decorations with tiny felt balls and pinecones. Perfect crafts

9. Debs says:

These are so adorable! I love how you could make a whole lot of pieces and then interchange them to make lots of different varieties. Thanks for sharing on Tuesday Tots. I have featured them this week :) http://www.learnwithplayathome.com/2013/04/easy-crafts-for-kids.html

10. Pingback: 20 Fab Crafts to Keep You and Your Kids Busy | Tots 100

11. Pingback: Painted Pine Cone Door Hanging | Domestic Goddesque

12. Pinkoddy says:

They are very cute. Look so simple too.

13. Andrea says:

Thanks for sharing! My daughter will love making these. Stopping by from Not Just a Housewife :)

RamblingReed.blogspot.com

14. The Monko says:

OMG this is awesome. We have a special pinteret board for googly eye creations. I’m totally sharing your beauties.

15. I love how these turned out and how they use natural products. I hope you’ll consider sharing this post at Look What We Did, a month long link up hosted by HammockTracks.

16. Visiting from Tuesday Tots. My Family-Focused Monday hop is live now and I would love to see one of your awesome posts linked up @ http://www.mondaykidcorner.blogspot.com.

Have a wonderful week.

17. Love these pine cone pets. What a creative idea. I wish we had some pine cones near us. I might have to go to the craft store and buy some! Pinning.

18. Pingback: Nature Crafts for Autumn - Red Ted Art's Blog

19. Margaret says:

Hi! I’ve featured your pets on a pine cone blog post! Thanks so much!

Margaret

20. Pingback: 20 Crafts Made from Nature - Kids Activities Blog

21. Pingback: Mega Roundup of Easy DIY Toys and Mega Giveaway - Teach Me Mommy

22. Pingback: Z craft ideas for kids (a Zing Zing Tree special)

23. These look really fun! I think my kids will enjoy all parts of this, from the animal creation to the themed box to keep them in. Thanks for this great idea!

24. Pingback: Bricolage d'automne : nos personnages en marron |La cour des petits

25. Pingback: 30+ Autumn Animal Activities + The Kids Co-Op Link Party - B-Inspired Mama